Tuesday, February 18, 2014

behind his lens

behind his lens

 This blog post is about this man; behind this lens.

He is a man of God.

He is a son, brother, husband, father, uncle, grandfather & great grandfather.

He is a loyal and beloved friend.

He is my father.

Retirement has been good to my dad.

He was able to retire from the day to day grind at 55. 
Not many people get that luxury but he did.

He is now 75 and... it looks good on him.

In the past 20 years, my dad has done some changing.

Some of the changes came without asking; though.

They crept up slowly and settled in his body.
Bones have become more brittle and spine curvatures more noticeable.
Muscles have lost some of their strength, and endurance; some of its durability.
Sleep doesn't come as easily or last as long.

With all of the changes that age brings,
 my dad has slowed down a bit.
Although, there is always something to fix or repair,
paint, epoxy, clean or build.
 He may complain a little about all that he has to do,
but deep down-- he loves it.  

It is just who he is.

 I am so thankful for him.

He has had to be both mother and father to his children for a time.
I remember the smiles on his face when 
he opened the "Mother's Day" cards,
addressed to him; from us.

 Love found him again in his 40's, and for her we are thankful. 
Relationships are not always easy, but with time and God's grace,
He brought us together as a family.

Over the past few years, my dad has become quite the photographer.

 He has found a home-- behind his lens.
  He is a member of the photo club in his active retirement community
 and has won a few awards for his pictures.

I love to sit down next to him as we look through 
the many recent pictures he has taken.  
 It is just part of the process of getting just the "right shot". 

With my camera, I took photo's of my dad-- taking photo's, during our recent visit.

I watched him as he patiently lifted his camera to his eye, to view his shot.
 Just waiting for the perfect moment to capture the perfect picture. 

I wondered what exactly he saw behind his lens.
  
This is what I saw...


It wasn't the beauty of the desert or the artist who put his blown glass pieces
in amongst the desert landscape, in those botanical gardens.

 I saw a beautiful head of silver and eyes of soft gray-blue.
A quiet but thoughtful soul filled with wisdom and experience.
Both pain and joy have touched his face and left their mark.

One day, God will call him home and it will truly be heaven's gain.

But until then...
I will collect new snapshots and file them with the old; in my minds eye.

Until the day, I will have only but them to draw upon. 





10 comments:

Unknown said...

Just to see how this works.

Unknown said...

My words cannot express my humbleness for what my daughter has written. As a parent I often wonder if I used the right method to raise my children. With God's help I am blessed with their maturity. Thank you Crickit for the beautiful word picture you painted of me. I love you.

Ronda said...

I am sitting here sobbing, you have captured our dad beautifully. There is no one like him, we have been so blessed! Thanks to my sweet, tender-hearted sister who can write words that touch or hearts. I love you my sissy!

Christine said...

What a beautiful tribute to your father.
Treasure him everyday!
(I wished I had my dad to tell him I love him.)

Glad to see you pop up in blogland!!!

Lisa said...

Beautifully, artfully, lovingly written. I've always thought of him as a pretty great uncle, too :)

Chris said...

Hi Crickit, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

nothing more honoring!! great job!

corners of my life said...

Such a lovely tribute . . .

Just a little something from Judy said...

What a loving, kind, and well worded tribute to a very special man in your life! I found myself drawn in to every word I read. Great post! No wonder you are such a gifted blogger!

Sprocket said...

What a beautiful tribute to your father.