Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Hunt for Fall-ISH



Fall



Just hearing the word,  makes you think of so many things.
First and foremost-- cooler temperatures.
And trees turning gorgeous colors of red, orange and yellow.
Pumpkin spice lattes, scarves, mittens and jackets,
and a roaring fire in the fireplace.

Where I live, Fall is a bit different and a little slow.
(sorry Fall, but tis' true)

"ISH"
"Ish" is used as a stand-in for "sort of" and "kind of," often tacked on to the end of a statement.


The reason that the word, "ish" fits-in so well,
in Southern California, when it comes to Fall, is because...

Well, when it comes to Fall here--
 It is, kind of Fall.


The weather here, does start to get cold-ish,
but not usually until November-ish
 and by that time, it is almost Winter. 

So, our trees, don't usually display those
 beautiful, fiery reds and oranges like on the east coast.

The words I would use describe the leaves here
would be greenbrown, brown, more brown and yellow
with just a hint of red, here and there.


This morning, I thought I would venture out, around my town, 
to see if I could hunt down some Fall-ish.



I started out at Starbucks,
with a tall, Pumpkin Spice Latte, iced. 

 It was already 72 degrees.




This is what I found on my hunt around town...

 
Brown


Green still-- because it is still Fall-ish,
and brown, with a bit of yellow. 


And last but not least, a hint of red!
(I had to look long and hard to find that red)

The trees that line this street are maples and IF the
hot, Santa Ana winds don't come in and BLOW away the
leaves before the weather cools down,
they will be a beautiful red...
I think.


Now, it may not look like Fall here, in my neck of the woods,
but alas, it is what it is!
And Fall-ish will still remain my favorite time of year.


So, be careful little "trick-or-treaters" on Halloween night!
Hold on tight to your masks and candy holders,
lest' you be blown down the street, by the hot, howling wind,
and end up instead, with not candy in your buckets,
but a handful of brown crunchy leaves!

1 comment:

dee dee said...

Wow.... what a fall! We have been having an Indian summer here the past few days... high of 80 in southeast Ohio! Enjoy your fallish fall my friend!
dee dee