Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Clock Man (A Gift of Time)


Yesterday was my day off from work and while I was enjoying the day, there was a knock at my door. I peeked out my front window to see who it was. It was my old neighbor, Eldon, who lived across the street, until he moved in with his son and daughter in law a few years ago. He now lives just right around the corner from me. Eldon is in his mid to late 80's and is widowed. His wife, Mary, passed away back in 2001. We moved into our house here in 2000 and I had never met Mary. They had been married for 53 years when she passed away. As Eldon says it... Mary was very "precious" to him.

I asked Eldon if he wanted to come in and visit for a little while, he hesitated for a moment and then said, "Why sure, but I have something for you and Keith in my car, let me get it first." I watched him as he walked out to his car, leaning on his walking cane. He came inside with a handmade clock that he made for my husband and me. It is made out of a piece of redwood, sanded down and is coated with 1/8 th of an inch of bar top lacquer. I know this... because he told me. He handed it to me carefully and watched my expression as I looked down at my gift. I smiled and gave him a hug and told him how much I liked my new clock. Now, I have seen these types of clocks before being sold in stores, swap meets, or specialty shops. But I have never purchased one because, well... it would not match my home decor and God forbid my house not match!

Eldon told me that he has made hundreds of these clocks for friends and family and he loves to keep busy working on them. He says, that it brings him joy to actually be able to make something with his hands, especially at his age. He also said that he gets many "Thank you" notes from people who receive them and that makes his heart... feel warm.

Eldon stayed and we visited for about a half hour, then he had to "get on his way." I waved good-bye as he pulled his car out of my driveway. As I closed my front door, I thanked God for this wonderfully sweet man, who made us this clock; from of a piece of redwood, sanded and lacquered to a glossy shine.

As I write out my "thank you" note , I will also enclose a picture of our beautiful clock, a gift of time, as it lovingly hangs on the wall in our home.

4 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

This story blessed my heart. It is the little unexpected happenings in the ordinary days of life, that add joy to our lives. Certainly you will think of him often, whenever you see your new clock.

Ronda said...

What a special surprise and a special man.

corners of my life said...

What a thoughtful gentleman, Eldon. I know he will appreciate the photo along with the thank you note.

Christine said...

Very wise woman, even though it doesn't go with your home. You made a gentleman happy and now you have a story to go with the clock.
Bless you.