Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cooking.... Betty Style




When looking through my cupboard shelf, at my MANY cookbooks (that never get used very often). I came across one of my Mom's old cookbooks. I am sure it was given to her by her mother. I have briefly looked through it before, but I thought I would give it another look. Tucked away in the front and back covers are several recipes that my mom had cut out of the newspaper or a magazine; now all yellowed with age. I am so very grateful that I have this cookbook left from my mother, some of her recipes handwritten on the book itself; written in between the pages. I cherish each and every page as my memories of her are awakened just by seeing her handwriting again. I can still recall some of those delicious recipes that she made for us, and her enthusiasm when she found a new recipe she thought that we would all enjoy.

This Betty Crocker Cookbook is so cool and brings back such good memories, I have decided I am going to start making some of the recipes in it. I will try it on a weekly basis and if all goes well, I will be cooking 1950's style. (Bouffant hair-do and pearls..not included)

I can't wait to see what is on the menu for next week...... stay tuned!


3 comments:

Ronda said...

I have Mom's Better Homes and Garden cookbook that is just like that, lots of old recipes and ones she has written down. I don't think she ever used half of them, but thought she might some day. Miss you mom! Thanks for sharing.

Betsy Brock said...

That is a nice old one! I love the old classic recipes...especially the hand written notes on the pages. :)

DarcyLee said...

I love an old cookbook and I have one that was my grandma's that I cherish. I hope you'll share some of your recipes and experiences when you start your 50's style cooking.