Monday, April 5, 2010

Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock


I have to say that I love clocks... all kinds of clocks; I have one or two in every room of my house. They are different sizes and shapes, some chime and some do not. I also own many watches. I make sure that I put my watch on first thing in the morning. I feel naked without it. I guess I really like knowing what time it is. Most of us are so busy these days and wish we had more time in our days. What is one of the first things that people say when you ask them, “How are you doing?” They usually reply with “I’m fine… but I’m just so busy”. I do know that we all get very busy in our everyday lives but some of us make ourselves busier by adding “things” to our lives to make us that way. How many of us waste our precious time each day on things that really are not worth our while?

I have decided that I am going to start making better use of my time. I would like to be able to say at the end of the day… I made good decisions with the use of my time today. I will probably have to start with setting a timer, for certain things that I do that use a lot of my time, like being on the computer, Facebook, watching TV, etc. These things are fine but they can also waste time if I am doing them for hours at a time. I will start scheduling my days better so that I don’t leave too much time to waste. I need to get up and move more, my body is telling me this… it is time that my mind gets the memo and they get into sync.

When I put things into proper perspective, I believe that I can make better use of my time; time to do the things that I was always much “too busy” to do. I will send more e-mails and notes to family and friends, I will keep in better touch with those I that I love … with a phone call, visit, or a cup of coffee. I will be a listening ear, voice of encouragement, or a visitor on a lonely day. I will do this because as my children get older ( two have left the nest, only one is left now and before I can blink he will be gone too), my parents get older, and my husband and I get older…tick- tock, tick- tock… time is ticking away. I want to know, that I came to a point in my life, where I knew how precious time was, and that I stopped being too busy for the ones who mean the most to me.

Remember… time is constantly ticking away… can you catch it before it catches you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Songs about Time:

Time in a Bottle
Does Anybody Really Know What Time it is?
Time on my Hands
Till the End of Time
Time is on my Side

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a good reminder to remember what's important... Crickit, we get together often, but I must say, I love reading your blog; it reveals your heart and who you are. I already loved you, but I can't help but feel closer to you through your writing.:)

Christine said...

I totally hear what you are saying. And what I'm hearing you saying is, that people are more important, then spending time on our gadgets.

DarcyLee said...

Great post, Cricket! I've found that once my children (2 so far) move out of the house, it takes more of an intentional effort to stay in touch with them because I don't naturally see them everyday. The occasional phone call, email or catch-up on Facebook, as well as having them over for dinner is how I try to do this. We only have so much time in a day, so we have to make the most of it, don't we?

Crickit said...

Thanks for your comments!:)

Darcy- It is hard to always make an effort to keep in touch, but it is important and you are right, there is only so much time in a day. I am really trying to make the most of mine.